This course prepares students to collect water samples in shellfish growing areas for fecal coliform bacteria analysis. Topics also include: procedures for sampling for biotoxins and shellfish-borne pathogens, and regulations and procedures of the Canadian Shellfish Sanitation Program.
The student will develop knowledge and skills in:
- The Canadian Shellfish Sanitation Program;
- The shellfish growing water classification system;
- Fecal coliform bacteria;
- The role of water sampling in determining area classification;
- Shellfish biotoxins;
- Disease transmission through shellfish;
- The use of water sampling equipment;
- Carrying out water sampling protocols;
- Obtaining salinity and temperature measurements; and
- Recording of measurements and field observations.
Class vs. Field
Class Days/Field Days
Course fees are refundable if you withdraw a minimum of 10 days prior to the start date of the course.Note that special refund deadlines are stated for some courses, and we are unable to issue refunds after those deadlines - information will appear in the intake's details available on the NREP schedule page.
Non-Refundable Fees: Some courses may have non-refundable tuition, application, and/or lab fees.
Please note: A full refund is issued if a course is cancelled.