VIU Faculty and students enjoy interactions with various renowned research facilities:
- Applied Environmental Research Laboratories (AERL)
- International Centre for Sturgeon Studies
- Centre for Shellfish Research
- Centre for Coastal Health
- Pacific Biological Station (PBS)
- Bamfield Marine Sciences Centre
VIU biology students are often involved in research projects or are employed during summers for field and/or laboratory work at these research facilities. Students may take advanced, field-oriented summer courses at the Bamfield Marine Sciences Centre.