VIU offers the first year of the Bachelor of Applied Science (Engineering) offered at the University of British Columbia (UBC) for both the Vancouver, Simon Fraser University - Burnaby (SFU-B), and the Bachelor of Engineering offered at the University of Victoria (UVic). VIU also provides a transfer pathway to second year engineering at the University of Northern British Columbia (UNBC) and Thompson Rivers University (TRU). Upon completion of the Fundamentals of Engineering Certificate program, students are able to transfer to second-year Engineering programs at UBC, UVic, or SFU-B without any additional qualifying courses, provided they meet the entry requirements at those institutions.
- UBC: Students who complete the Fundamentals of Engineering Certificate program within one year and with a minimum required GPA qualify for admission into the UBC second year program. Students who complete the certificate within two years can still apply to UBC but are considered for admission under General Science. Students are required to meet a higher entrance GPA.
- SFU-B: Students who complete the Fundamentals of Engineering Certificate program within 16 months with a minimum required GPA qualify for admission into the second year program at SFU-B.
- UVic: Students who complete the Fundamentals of Engineering Certificate program within two years with a minimum required GPA qualify for admission into the second year program at UVic.
All students, once admitted and regardless of the receiving institution, compete for seats within different specialities based primarily on their GPA; popular specialities have higher GPA requirements which change for any given year. All students are treated equally in this respect, regardless of where they may have studied their first year of studies.
VIU also offers two years of engineering studies applicable for the University of Victoria under its Fundamentals of Engineering Diploma program*. Students are able to take up to twenty classes of transferrable credit for engineering disciplines at UVic, as well as the option to take an engineering co-op during the summer period.
- Grade 12 graduation or provincial equivalent
- Min “C+” in Physics 12
- Min. “C+” in Chemistry 12
- Min. “B” in Pre-Calculus 12
- Min. “C+” in English 12*
- Calculus 12 (if available)
- Programming 12 (if available)
Notes on Admission:
- Admission based on GPA rankings
- Enrolment is limited. Students who meet or exceed the minimum admission requirements may not necessarily be admitted into the program.
- Outstanding candidates missing either Chemistry 12 or Physics 12 are encouraged to apply and will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
- Reserved seating in all program courses is provided for the first year of student. After one year, seats are not reserved or guaranteed; they are provided as available, based on registration priority.