VIU offers the first year of the Bachelor of Applied Science (Engineering) offered at the University of British Columbia - Vancouver (UBC-V) and Simon Fraser University - Burnaby (SFU-B), and the Bachelor of Engineering offered at the University of Victoria (UVic). VIU also provides the majority of the first year engineering curriculum at UBC-Okanagan (UBC-O), the University of Northern British Columbia (UNBC), and SFU-Surrey (SFU-S). Upon completion of the Fundamentals of Engineering Certificate program, students are able to transfer to second-year Engineering programs at UBC-V, UVic, or SFU-B without any additional qualifying courses, provided they meet the entry requirements at those institutions.
- UBC-V: Students who complete the Fundamentals of Engineering Certificate program within one year and with a minimum required GPA qualify for admission into the UBC-V second year program. Students who complete the certificate within two years can still apply to UBC but are considered for admission under General Science. Students are required to meet a higher entrance GPA.
- SFU-B: Students who complete the Fundamentals of Engineering Certificate program within 16 months with a minimum required GPA qualify for admission into the second year program at SFU-B.
- UVic: Students who complete the Fundamentals of Engineering Certificate program within two years with a minimum required GPA qualify for admission into the second year program at UVic.
All students, once admitted and regardless of the receiving institution, compete for seats within different specialities based primarily on their GPA; popular specialities have higher GPA requirements which change for any given year. All students are treated equally in this respect, regardless of where they may have studied their first year of studies.
- Grade 12 graduation or provincial equivalent
- Min “C+” in Physics 12
- Min. “C+” in Chemistry 12
- Min. “B” in Pre-Calculus 12
- Min. “C+” in English 12*
- Helpful but not required: Computer Science and/or Calculus
Students are accepted into the Fundamentals of Engineering Certificate program based on the CGPA of the above classes. Reserved seating in all program courses is provided for the first year of student. After one year, seats are not reserved or guaranteed; they are provided as available, based on registration priority.