- Lab Instructor
- Fish Health
- B.Sc. University of Victoria, Victoria (1986)
- Dip. T. Fish/Aqua, Vancouver Island University, Nanaimo (1988)
Jennifer is a graduate of VIU’s Fisheries and Aquaculture Diploma Program, which she completed after obtaining her Bachelor of Science Degree from the University of Victoria. Jennifer has 15 years experience working as a Fish Health Biologist for both the private sector and the Canadian Department of Fisheries and Oceans. She has experience in bacteriology, parasitology, histology, and molecular techniques (PCR). Most recently Jennifer worked for the Department of Fisheries and Oceans, Pacific Biological Station, Department of Aquaculture working on Kudoa thyrsites and Tetracapsula bryosalmonae research studies.
- Aqua 171T/172: Field Practicum
- Aqua 173T: Work Experience
- Aqua 191T/192T: Projects in Fish Husbandry
- Aqua 222: Larval Rearing and Invertebrate Culture Lab
- Aqua 371/372: Field Practicum
- Aqua 391/392: Projects in Fish Husbandry
Organizations and Affiliations:
- Aquaculture Association of Canada (AAC)
- World Aquaculture Association (WAS)
- Dawson-Coates, J.C. Chase, V. Funk, M.H. Booy, L.R. Haines, C.L. Falkenberg, D.J. Whitaker, R.W. Olafson, and T.W. Pearson. 2003. The relationship between flesh quality and numbers of Kudoa thyrsites plasmodia and spores in farmed Atlantic salmon, Salmo salar L. Journal of Fish Diseases. 26:451-459.
- Chase, J.C., M.H. Booy, J.A. Dawson-Coates, J.D. Haddow, L.R. Haines, D.J. Whitaker, R.W. Olafson, and T.W. Pearson. 2003. Immunological detection of Kudoa thyrsites spores in muscle tissues of farmed Atlantic salmon, Salmo salar L. Journal of Fish Diseases. 26:427-431.
- Chase, J.C., J.A. Dawson-Coates, J.D. Haddow, M.H. Stewart, L.R. Haines, D.J. Whitaker, M.L. Kent, R.W. Olafson, and T.W. Pearson. 2001. Analysis of Kudoa thyrsites (Myxozoa: Myxosporea) spore antigens using monoclonal antibodies. Disease of Aquatic Organisms. 45:121.129.
Reports and other Publications:
- Stephen C, J. Dawson-Coates, J. Parmley and E. Fraser. 2005. Towards an International Antimicrobial Report Card. Prepared for the Canadian Commitee on Antimicrobial Resistance
- Stephen C, Dawson-Coates J. 2004. Capacity of the British Columbia shellfish industry to meet European Union health requirements for exports: Preliminary situation assessment. Prepared for the BC Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food.
- Pennell, W. and J.A. Dawson-Coates. 2001. Calanoid Copepods of the Strait of Georgia. CD. Ministry of Advanced Education.